Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pumpkin French Toast Fritters with Syrup

You all are probably sick of me posting recipes that call for the use of pumpkin, but I can't help it...seriously! I absolutely love using pumpkin in as many recipes as possible. First, I just love the flavor it gives dishes. Second, it packs a lot of nutrition into a small amount, which is exactly what I want with my meals/dishes.

This is a great recipe for breakfast but can also be tasty for lunch or dinner. I serve french toast with some scrambled eggs or turkey sausage. You want some protein with a carb-filled meal, even if the carbs are whole grain. A small serving of fresh fruit would be good to serve with this meal as well.

Pumpkin French Toast Fritters with Syrup
Serves: 4
Adapted by: http://blog.superhealthykids.com/2011/12/pumpkin-french-toast-fritter-bites/

Ingredients:
4 slices whole wheat bread (I prefer Wonder Smart Wheat Bread)
2 - 3 tablespoons Libby's pure pumpkin
2 eggs OR 3 egg whites OR 1/2 cup eggbeater substitute (I use 3 egg whites)
2 tablespoons skim or 1% milk
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

Directions:
-Take 2 slices of bread and spread 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin on each slice. Top each piece with a dry slice of bread. You will have 2 whole sandwiches.
-Cut each sandwich into 4 squares.
-In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, and spices together.
-Dunk each square of bread into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides.
-Once coated, place each square on a nonstick baking sheet.
-Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. You will flip them over after 10 minutes of baking.
-Serve pumpkin french toast fritters with a small schmear of butter and syrup of your choice or sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and serve.

Enjoy! :)

*Tips:
-I like these with syrup and a dab of butter, but the powdered sugar makes for a very pretty presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment