Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Healthy Spinach-Stuffed Meatloaf

I know meatloaf is one of those dishes that you either love or you hate. I am in the category of those that love it. Yes, I have had my fair share of different meatloafs that I didn't care for, but I love them so much because you can make them different every time you make one. Top contenders in our house are the bbq bacon meatloaf and the italian meatloaf. This recipe is definitely making its way to the top of my favorites though.

I opted to try this recipe because I am really trying to like spinach and I find that when it is mixed in dishes, I don't mind it at all. A great thing about this meatloaf recipe is that it is super healthy. As long as you pair it with healthier side dishes, you will be good to go. I served this meatloaf with a small serving of dill and garlic roasted red potatoes and roasted green beans. YUM! The reheated leftovers taste very good as well!

I hope you all give this recipe a try because I am quite confident you will love it!

Healthy Spinach-Stuffed Meatloaf
Serves: 8 slices of meatloaf
Adapted by: http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/spinach-stuffed-meatloaf-143216/

Ingredients:
2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
1 pound ground turkey breast OR lean ground beef (I used ground turkey breast)
1 cup oats
2 egg whites
1/8 cup low-sodium soy sauce (I use kikkoman)
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 cup minced parsley or 3 tablespoons dried parsley
4 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic in oil
1 tablespoon reduced sodium worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons of ketchup or bbq sauce (I used bbq sauce)
Salt and pepper for seasoning purposes

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the spinach, a dash of salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons water. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Set aside.
-In a bowl, combine the oats, eggs, milk, and soy sauce and stir together until combined. Set aside for about 10 minutes to soak.
-After 10 minutes of the oats soaking, add the ground turkey, parsley, garlic, worcestershire sauce, and paprika. Mix well.
-Coat a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and take half of the meat mixture and make into a loaf in the bottom of the pan. Top with spinach and sprinkle with the cheese. Then press the remaining meat over the top of the spinach and cheese. Cover the top of the meatloaf with bbq sauce or ketchup.
-Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until meatloaf is cooked and no longer pink in the middle.
-Remove meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
-Serve

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment