Sunday, January 1, 2012

Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberries

I tried acorn squash for the first time just a few days ago and absolutely loved it. I had never eaten it before and was very skeptical, but it was one of the best side dishes I have eaten in recent months. I was amazed that I liked it so much and knew instantly I would start trying dishes to see what other ways I could make the squash. This recipe is the first one I attempted myself and was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this recipe tremendously and I have a sneaky suspicion that you will fall in love with it as well. This recipe was served with garlic roasted turkey cutlets and some fresh strawberries and kiwi. A bonus of cooking acorn squash right now is that it is in season and quite affordable. It is also loaded with nutrients and can be made either as a savory dish or as a sweeter dish. My recommendation is you try cooking several different dishes containing the squash. Get creative and enjoy!

Roasted Acorn Squash with Walnuts and Cranberries
Serves: 4
Adapted by: http://www.inspiredtaste.net/2186/roasted-acorn-squash-with-walnuts-and-cranberries/

Ingredients:
2 acorn squash
1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lite salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar or brown sugar splenda blend (I used the splenda blend)
3 tablespoons light butter or margarine
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries (I used craisins)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
-Cut each squash in half and use a spoon to scoop out any seeds and cut each half into 4 pieces/chunks.
-Place all of the squash pieces in a baking dish (I used a 13 x 9 baking dish that was sprayed with nonstick cooking spray)
-Drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, and brown sugar onto all of the squash pieces
-Bake the squash for 1 hour in the oven; check the squash and continue cooking until the edges are caramelized and the squash is softened. My oven only took 1 hour to cook the squash.
-In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, the walnuts, and the cranberries and cook, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted.
-Drizzle the melted butter mixture over the squash pieces and serve

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment