Sunday, January 22, 2012

Baked Egg White & Veggie Muffin Cups

I eat eggs every single morning with breakfast. Eggs are great because they are full of protein and loaded with lots of good nutrients for your body. Some people prefer to eat whole eggs, but I prefer egg whites because they don't have all the cholesterol that a whole egg has and they are fat free. I do eat whole eggs occasionally but not very often.

These egg muffin cups are so adorable and quite tasty. I like to make a batch of these on Sunday and then refrigerate them and eat a few each morning for breakfast during the week. All you do is heat them in the microwave for 10 seconds and enjoy. The best thing about these is that you can customize them to exactly how you want them. Here is the recipe for how I usually make them. Feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own.

Baked Egg White & Veggie Muffin Cups
Serves 12 egg muffins

Ingredients:

12 extra large egg whites OR 12 large eggs - I use egg whites
nonstick cooking spray
12 muffin baking pan
small green bell pepper, chopped
small red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
lean ham or turkey sausage, diced - I use lean ham
reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
pepper for seasoning
dried parsley for seasoning

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Spray nonstick cooking spray in all 12 muffin cups (this is important because you don't want them to stick when you try to remove them)
-In the bottom of each muffin section add some bell pepper, onion, meat, and shredded cheese.
-On top of the veggies, add 1 egg white or whole egg to each muffin section.
-Season the top of each muffin section with pepper and dried parsley
-Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until completely cooked.
-You will want to check them after about 12 minutes. My oven takes the full 20 minutes to bake these.
-Remove from oven and let cool approx 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan.
-Once completely cooled, I usually wrap these up in two's in saran wrap and place them in the refrigerator for the week.
-To reheat, you will place the desired amount on a plate and microwave for 10 to 15 seconds or until heated.
-Serve

Enjoy!

*Tip: you can add any kind of veggie you wish to add and some people prefer to add a small pinch of cream to make the eggs creamier.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I am a trainer, and I would love to share this recipe on my blog! Let me know if that would be okay! I will give you credit of course! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete