Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tex Mex Orzo

I went to the farmer's market with some girlfriends today. We had an absolute blast and got some great produce and fruits. We also hit up a fresh pasta stand and we each got some unique kinds of pasta. While browsing the different kinds, I came across whole wheat orzo. It was almost 5 bucks for an 8oz bag, but I knew I had to have it. I really try to only use wheat or whole grain pasta's in my house because they are whole grain and not refined carbs. I have wanted to try several orzo recipes but never could find anything but regular semolina orzo pasta. This was the first recipe I made with my new whole wheat orzo and it was scrumptious!

Tex Mex Orzo
Serves: 4 to 6
Adapted by: http://www.reservation4two.com/6/post/2012/02/tex-mex-orzo-reservation-for-two.html

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup shallots, diced finely
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin (I used 2 teaspoons)
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 can rotel (we used spicy, but mild or original would work just fine)
1/2 can Mexicorn, drained
2 teaspoons lime juice
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
-In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cumin and saute for about 2 minutes.
-Add the uncooked orzo to the skillet. Make sure to stir well, so that all orzo gets coated with the olive oil and shallots.
-Add the chicken broth and rotel (do not drain the rotel) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes. Taste the orzo after 10 minutes, to check for doneness. Add additional chicken broth, if needed, to cook a little longer.
-Once the orzo is cooked, add the mexicorn and lime juice. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
-Serve immediately

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment