Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sugar Snap Pea & Barley Salad

I love sugar snap peas! I eat them at least once a week. My husband is not a huge fan of them, but he will eat them as long as I do different things with it. I saw this recipe and knew I wanted to try it out. I figured that since it was mixed with a grain, that he may enjoy it.

This side dish went well with some oven roasted turkey breasts and fresh berries and kiwi.

Sugar Snap Pea & Barley Salad
Serves: 4 to 6
Adapted by: http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2011/05/sugar-snap-pea-and-barley-salad.html

Ingredients
2 cups water
1 cup quick cooking barley
8 ounces sugar snap peas, cut into halves or "matchsticks"
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lite salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
-Bring water to a boil in a medium stockpot.
-Once water is boiling, add barley and cook, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or according to the directions on the package of barley. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
-Add the sugar snap peas, parsley, onion, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss gently.
-Serve

*tip:
-you can serve this chilled, if you desire to. Just place in the refrigerator and let it get cold first. We ate this dish as a warm side dish.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment