Sunday, April 8, 2012

Spicy Oven Fried Chicken

My husband is constantly asking me to make some fried chicken for supper. I have to admit that I have only done it a handful of times and every time I try to make it, I wind up disappointed because it just doesn't come out completely how I want it to. It is definitely edible but just not exactly like fried chicken should be like. I compromise with Bryan and often make this spicy oven fried chicken recipe. It is scrumptious and it makes him a happy camper, which in turn makes me happy. We typically serve this chicken recipe with some baked beans or homemade fries.

Spicy Oven Fried Chicken
Serves: 4
Adapted by: http://www.ivillage.com/spicy-oven-fried-chicken/3-r-122465

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups low fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon hot sauce
3 to 4 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces or buy already cut pieces of chicken
1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon lite salt
1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
cooking spray

Directions:
-In a large mixing bowl, whisk buttermilk, dijon mustard and hot sauce. Place chicken pieces in the bowl, making sure to completely submerge the chicken in the buttermilk mixture. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a shallow pan, combine the breadcrumbs, cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Remove a piece of chicken from the buttermilk mixture and roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure to coat all sides evenly. Place each piece of chicken on a nonstick baking sheet or pan. Complete process until all chicken is ready to bake.
-Spray the chicken pieces with cooking spray or olive oil spray. I use olive oil spray. Bake in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until chicken is cooked completely. The coating will be brown and crispy.
-Serve

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment