Friday, April 27, 2012

Baked Butternut Squash

Yes, I realize that squash is typically a fall vegetable but I just can't help that I am quite obsessed with making it year round. I had the perfect opportunity last night to make some because my husband was away on business and I had two of my girlfriends over for supper. He doesn't care for butternut squash, so I rarely make it when he is home. My friend Jamie helped me prepare this dish and we devoured it. It is very simple and doesn't take a lot of prep work at all. We had baked butternut squash, oven roasted garlic asparagus, and zucchini parmesan stuffed chicken breasts. Delicious!

*tip: you could use acorn squash in place of butternut squash.

Baked Butternut Squash
Serves: varies (depends on size of squash)
Adapted by: http://www.fortheloveofcooking.net/2008/10/baked-butternut-squash-and-acorn-squash.html

Ingredients:
1 butternut squash
2 to 3 tablespoons light butter
brown sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
-Slice the butternut squash in half. Scrape out the seeds and rinse off.
-Place squash in a roasting pan or baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
-Spread butter all over the two halves of the squash.
-Sprinkle the squash with cinnamon, brown sugar, and nutmeg. You can determine how much of each of these spices you use. If you want it extra sweet, add a lot and if you prefer a mild taste, just a pinch of each will suffice.
-Cover dish with tin foil and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until fork tender.
-You can slice the squash into chunks and serve
-Make sure to let guests know that they need to remove the skin or just cut around it

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment