Friday, August 19, 2011

My version of Chicken Broccoli Divan Casserole

I am a huge fan of casseroles, but I really don't know how to make that many, so my goal is to learn how to make some new casserole dishes. Next week, I am going to attempt to make a southwestern tator tot casserole. Tonight I made my version of Chicken Broccoli Divan Casserole. It was very good and my husband couldn't stop giving me compliments. It goes very well over some brown rice or just by itself.  We had it by itself tonight with some wheat rolls and salad.

Chicken Broccoli Divan Casserole
Serves 5

Ingredients
-12 ounces of boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut in chunks
-Teaspoon of olive oil
-14 oz bag of fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- Sun Dried tomatoes - chopped up (I used quite a few but use as many or as little as you like)
-1 can of Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
-1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
-1/3 cup of skim milk
-1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
-1 tablespoon butter - we use light stick butter
-pepper for seasoning
-1/4 -1/2 cup plain bread crumbs

Directions
-In a nonstick skillet, head up olive oil and cook seasoned chicken chunks until fully cooked.
-In a 9 inch pie dish, spray nonstick cooking spray.
-Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
-Steam broccoli in microwave or cook broccoli according to directions on package
-Once broccoli is cooked, put it in the bottom of the pie dish.
-Put sun dried tomatoes on top of the broccoli.
-On top of the tomatoes, add the chicken chunks.
-In a small bowl, add onion, milk, and cream of chicken soup and combine well.
-Pour over the broccoli and chicken.
-Sprinkle swiss cheese on top of everything in the pie dish.
-Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small bowl and stir it together with bread crumbs. It will become a crumbly type texture.
-Sprinkle the breadcrumbs mixture on top of the casserole.
-Sprinkle black pepper on top of the whole casserole
-Bake for 20 minutes in the oven until bubbly and cheese is melted.

Enjoy! :)

*Modifications
-Feel free to use any kind of cheese you prefer (I think swiss, cheddar, and maybe provolone are the best kinds to use for this particular casserole)

No comments:

Post a Comment