Monday, August 8, 2011

Lower Calorie Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have a huge sweet tooth, so anytime I make dessert, I try to make it healthier than the original recipe. I found this recipe the other day and decided to try it out for dessert last night. These cookies were really good and they didn't take long to make at all. I also like this recipe because it only makes about 26 cookies rather than 4 or 5 dozen that the usual batch of cookie dough makes.

Lower Calorie Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves 26 (1 cookie per serving)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of granulated sugar or sugar substitute equivalent
1/2 cup of brown sugar or brown sugar substitute equivalent
1/4 cup of butter - melted
1 egg or egg substitute equivalent
1 cup of white whole wheat flour (we use King Arthur)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup of chocolate chips (we used dark chocolate)
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined thoroughly. If the dough is a little dry, add an additional egg white to make it more moist.
Drop by teaspoonful onto a nonstick baking sheet
Bake 8 - 11 minutes

*Modifications
-I used Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, which only calls for 1/4 cup of brown sugar rather than the 1/2 cup originally required
-I used light stick butter to reduce the fat and calorie content of these cookies
-I used EggBeaters instead of eggs
-My oven only took 9 minutes to cook each batch of cookies.
-Using the modifications that I used, these cookies come out to approx 50 calories per cookie!

My dad, my brother, and my husband liked them, so I would say these were a hit in our house.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment