Monday, August 29, 2011

Breakfast Recipe: Pumpkin Pie Spiced Oatmeal with walnuts

I am obsessed with oatmeal! I eat it several times a week for breakfast. I never really ate it as a kid but have found as an adult that I love it. I think I like oatmeal so much because the choices are limitless when it comes to how you eat it. I have tried several different kinds of recipes with oatmeal. This is one of my absolute favorites. It reminds me of the fall. Not only is oatmeal delicious, it is super healthy for you and keeps you feeling full for several hours. Steel Cut Oatmeal is the best choice for you but it takes some time to make, so during the work week I use Plain Instant Oatmeal. I try to stay away from flavored oatmeal packets because they are loaded with sugars and you will notice that the ingredients list contains ingredients you can't even pronounce. Instant plain oatmeal only contains oats and no added sugars. You can add natural sweeteners to the plain and it is a healthier option. Oatmeal can definitely be served alone but I normally eat a bowl of oatmeal with either a piece of fruit or some egg whites cooked.

Pumpkin Pie Spiced Oatmeal with Walnuts
Serves 1

Ingredients:
1 package Quaker plain instant oatmeal
2/3 cup water or milk depending on your preference on how you cook your oatmeal
1/2 cup pure canned pumpkin - I use Libby's
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed - optional
chopped walnuts

Directions:
-Cook instant oatmeal with water or milk according to directions on box
-Once oatmeal is cooked, add pumpkin, spices, and flaxseed and stir well.
-Top with walnuts

The walnuts and flaxseed provide healthy fats and just add to the overall health of the oatmeal.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment