Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Steak Fingers with Jalapeno Cream Gravy

Ok, so I know this blog is supposed to be all about healthy recipes, but for today I am posting this amazing recipe that I just know you will love. Every now and then you have to indulge and this is definitely one of those recipes that screams "indulgence". I will post a healthy recipe after this post to make up for just how unhealthy this one probably is.

I came across this recipe one day and immediately knew I had to make it. I am not sure if anyone remembers but Dairy Queen used to sell steak finger baskets back in the early 90's. I have memories of my mom, my sister, and I always getting them when we ate at Dairy Queen. This brings me back to those days.

Steak Fingers with Jalapeno Cream Gravy
Serves 4

Original recipe from "Homesick Texan" (http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2011/01/steak-fingers-jalapeno-cream-gravy.html)

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds cube steak
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
2 eggs or egg substitute equivalent
1 cup of milk or buttermilk
canola oil for frying

2 jalapenos - seeded and cut in half lengthwise
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons oil or bacon grease (I used 2 tablespoons of light butter instead of oil or grease)
2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
salt

Directions:

For the gravy:
-Place garlic and jalapenos on baking sheet and place under the broiler for no more than 5 minutes
-Remove from the oven and dice up the garlic and jalapenos
-In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil/grease/or butter on medium low heat.
-Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour
-Slowly add in the milk and stir until it reaches a thick consistency, which takes a few minutes.
-You may not need the entire 1 1/2 cups of milk. If it gets too runny, you can add a little more flour to thicken it up.
-Add the diced jalapenos, garlic, pepper, and cumin and stir together. Taste to see if you need any other additional seasoning.
-Set aside on low heat and stir often.

For the Steak fingers:
-Cut the cube steak into strips. They should be thicker strips, not skinny.
-In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
-In a small bowl, combine the eggs and milk and stir together.
-Take each strip of steak and do the following:
    Dip in the flour mixture, then into the egg/milk mixture, and then back into the flour mixture
-Set all aside on a plate after they have all been breaded.

-In an electric skillet or large skillet, place about an inch of oil in the bottom of the pan and heat to about 300 degrees or so.
-Place your steak strips into the skillet and cook on the first side for about 3-4 minutes. You can cover your electric skillet to cook them faster.
-Then flip the steak strips and cook until the meat thermometer reads at least 165 degrees.
-On a plate, put some paper towels on it to put the cooked steak strips on and soak up some of the oil from the cooking process.

Serve the strips with the Jalapeno Cream Gravy.

*Modifications:
-I used white whole wheat flour for this recipe
-I used skim milk instead of whole milk or buttermilk
-I used egg substitute instead of 2 eggs
-I used light margarine instead of oil or grease
-I try to use the least amount of oil when frying these steak strips up. I blot all of them with several paper towels to remove the excess oil from frying.

Enjoy! These are seriously very tasty. Just don't go overboard because they are not the healthiest of meals. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment