Thursday, July 14, 2011

Jalapeno and Pepper Cheddar Bread

I decided to make this bread recipe because I had lots of fresh red and green bell peppers, as well as jalapenos, from my garden that needed to be used before they went bad. This recipe turned out absolutely scrumptious! The original recipe is from "Homemade by Holman" (http://homeiswheretheholmansare.blogspot.com/2010/01/jalepeno-cheddar-bread.html)

I found this recipe just searching through cooking blogs and am so glad I found a good bread recipe that my husband would absolutely go nuts over. He couldn't get enough of this. I hope you and your family enjoy it.

Jalapeno and Pepper Cheddar Bread
Serves 12-14 (small slices)

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup milk (I used 1/2% milk)
1/3 cup pure canola oil
1 large egg
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup roasted red pepper, diced

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 Degrees
2) Spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray
3) In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper, salt, and cheese.
4) In a separate small bowl, combine the milk, canola oil, and large egg and mix well.
5) In the large bowl, make a well  in the center of the flour mixture and pour the milk mixture in the middle of the well.
6) Combine the wet and dry mixture just until blended.
7) Add jalapeno peppers and red and green bell peppers and stir gently to combine.
8) Batter will be lumpy
9) Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
10) Cool before slicing and enjoy! :)

*Modifications
- Instead of all purpose flour, I used white whole wheat flour to boost the whole grains in this recipe
- I used fat free shredded cheddar cheese to reduce the fat and calories in this recipe
- I added 4 jalapenos, not 3. It gave it more of a kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment