Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tropical Cake

Cake is one of my favorite desserts, but I rarely eat it because it's just not that healthy for you. When I want to indulge, this is one of the cakes I make.  One of my husband's co-workers gave me this recipe about a year ago. In my opinion, this cake is perfect because it is moist, flavorful, and has a very light texture to it, which is exactly what I like.

Tropical Cake
Serves 12

Ingredients:

Cake
1 box Moist Yellow Cake Mix
1 14oz can Mandarin Oranges
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Frosting
1 large tub whipped topping (Cool Whip)
1 large can crushed pineapple (drained completely)
1 box sugar free french vanilla pudding mix

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine ingredients for cake (w/electric mixer). Do not drain the oranges!
Pour batter into a greased 13x9 cake pan
Bake for 30-35 minutes
Let cool before frosting

To Make frosting:
Drain crushed pineapple completely
Combine with softened cool whip and pudding mix

Frost the cake and refrigerate.

*Healthier Suggestions
-I buy the yellow cake mix that is sugar free
-You can use a can of mandarin oranges that has no sugar added
-You can use egg substitute (just make sure you do the equivalent of 4 eggs)
-You can use unsweetened apple sauce instead of the oil
-You can use Cool Whip Lite or Sugar Free Cool Whip

If you use the apple sauce instead of oil, you will have a different texture than the normal recipe.

Happy Baking! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment