Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Chicken, Fruit, and Spinach Salad

Summer is definitely here in Kansas! When it is an extremely hot day, the last thing I want to do is cook a heavy, warm meal for dinner. I try to make lighter meals for dinner in the summertime. This salad is a perfect example of something that would be perfect for a summer dinner. I myself am not a salad eater. I've tried and I just can't get myself to like them. Maybe one day...  My husband loves salads though, so I make them for him and I just eat a fresh deli sandwich or something cool and light. This is a great way to get your vegetables and fruits for the day.

Chicken, Fruit, and Spinach Salad
Serves approx 3 people

Ingredients:
1/2 bag of romaine lettuce (rinsed and dried)
1/2 bag of fresh spinach leaves (rinsed and dried)
Slivered almonds or pecan pieces - your preference
1/2 cup of fresh sliced strawberries
1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup of fresh sliced pineapple
4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts - season with pepper and salt (cut in strips or chunks)
Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free Raspberry Vinaigrette

Directions:
Cut up all fruit and set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the lettuce and spinach, and toss with the fresh fruit. Add your nuts if you desire.
In a non-stick cooking pan, add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and cook your chicken strips/chunks until 165 degrees.
Throw the chicken on top of the salad mixture.
Serve in bowls.
Add whatever dressing you wish to add, but the sugar free raspberry vinaigrette works very well with this dish.

Suggestions:
*I use sugar free dressing for this dish because there is already natural sugars in the fruits.
*feel free to add other fruits and make it your own salad dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment