Monday, June 18, 2012

Homemade BBQ Sauce

This past Sunday was Father's Day and I wanted to cook something delicious for my dad to celebrate. My brother and I cooked him a feast of foods we thought were his favorite. The menu included smoked chicken, homemade bbq sauce (my first attempt), homemade wheat crescent rolls, oven roasted dill potatoes, and roasted fresh corn on the cob. For dessert, a homemade chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and a peanut butter buttercream frosting. He loved the entire meal.

I guess it was somewhat risky to try out a new bbq sauce on such a special day but we all ended up really enjoying this sauce. The reviews on the original recipe got rave reviews so I had high hopes it would turn out tasty. I know we will tweak it a little next time but I wanted to share it with you and let you come up with your own way to add something to it.

This sauce will be good on all sorts of meats. I plan on using the leftover sauce to make homemade bbq chicken pizza later in the week.

Homemade BBQ Sauce
Serves: approx 18 servings (2 tablespoons per serving)
Adapted by: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/homemade-kansas-style-bbq-sauce.html

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups tomato sauce
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup local honey
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
2 teaspoons all natural hickory liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used 3/4 teaspoon because we like it a little spicy)
1/2 teaspoon lite salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon chili powder (I used 1/4 teaspoon)

Directions
-In a large nonstick saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer over low for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Let the sauce cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use or serve warm fresh off the stove over your favorite meats, etc...

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment