Friday, May 11, 2012

Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I think my husband can count on one hand the amount of times I have made mashed potatoes for dinner. It's not because I don't like them, but they can become quite unhealthy once you add the butter and milk or cream. I find that I prefer to use potatoes by roasting them or having healthy baked potatoes. I also just generally use sweet potatoes more than I do regular potatoes because they are more nutritious. Potatoes are healthy on their own but most people will add a bunch of ingredients to them and then they become a poor choice for a side dish. I found a delicious and amazing healthier mashed potato recipe. We had these mashed potatoes with some turkey cutlets and homemade herb gravy, with some broccoli and cheese on the side. It was a great meal and I would recommend all of you trying these mashed potatoes. My husband is excited because he now thinks I might make mashed potatoes more often. We shall see...

Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Serves: 5
Adapted by: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/garlic-mashed-potatoes-3-ww-points.html

Ingredients
2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped (I kept the skin on because we like it like that)
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup fat free or light sour cream (I use fat free because that is what I had)
1/4 cup fat free/reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons skim milk or fat free half and half
1 tablespoon light butter
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup fresh herbs of choice: parsley, thyme, or tarragon (I used parsley)

Directions
-Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot of water. You want the water to cover all of the potatoes. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return potatoes and garlic to the pot.
-Add sour cream and all remaining ingredients. Use a potato masher to mash until the consistency you prefer. Add any additional salt and pepper that you desire.
-Serve

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment