Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gingerbread Waffles or Pancakes

The scent of gingerbread makes me think of Christmas every time I smell it. I envision growing up and making homemade gingerbread cookies with my mom and I have such fond memories of holiday baking with her. Other than gingerbread cookies, I really have never done anything else related to gingerbread. This recipe was the perfect dish to try out for the holiday season.

I am a loyal fan of "breakfast for dinner" nights in our house and these were a smashing hit, even with a husband that doesn't prefer anything that is remotely gingerbread tasting. These delicious babies are healthy for you as well, so no guilt when you eat a lot of them. Feel free to make these and freeze them. They reheat very well. You can also whip up a batch and just put them in the refrigerator and heat a few up for breakfast during the work week.

Gingerbread Waffles or Pancakes
Serving size depends on how big you make the pancakes or waffles
Adapted from: http://debbidoesdinnerhealthy.blogspot.com/2010/11/gingerbread-pancakes.html

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour (you could do half and half also)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon lite salt
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 egg OR 2 egg whites OR 1/4 cup egg substitute (I used 2 egg whites)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons brown sugar or brown sugar substitute (I used Splenda Brown Sugar blend)
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/4 cups water
Pure maple syrup OR sugar free maple flavored syrup (obviously pure maple syrup is very high in calories and has lots of sugar, so if you use this make sure to use sparingly) - I use sugar free syrup in my house

Directions:
-In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
-In a small separate bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and molasses until smooth. Add the water and whisk until combined.
-Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and make sure to stir until thoroughly mixed.
-Heat a waffle maker or pancake griddle and spray with nonstick cooking spray
-Add approx 1/3 cup of batter onto hot waffle maker and let cook until the light says it is ready. Complete this process with all batter.
-Spread some light butter on a waffle and drizzle with syrup
-Serve

*Suggestions:
-You can make waffles with a waffle maker or you can make pancakes. I decided on waffles this time but know this would be delicious as pancakes.
-I believe you could use milk instead of water but I am not 100% sure how they would turn out.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment