Wednesday, December 28, 2011

BBQ Sloppy Joe's

I always try to change up recipes every time I make them. It drives my husband bonkers sometimes because he will really like the way I do a recipe one time and then hates that I don't make it the same way every time I make it. Sloppy Joe's are one of those recipes that I make differently each time I make them. They are such a versatile dish and there are so many options on how to make them. I decided to try out some bbq sloppy joes and they were extremely tasty.

BBQ Sloppy Joe's
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
Adapted by: http://www.laaloosh.com/2010/06/29/bbq-sloppy-joe-recipe/

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground turkey breast OR 1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup bbq sauce - your preference (I use lower sugar/lower calorie bbq sauce)
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
4 to 6 whole wheat sandwich buns

Directions:
-In a nonstick skillet, heat over medium high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Brown the turkey or beef until it is cooked, which should take 8 to 10 minutes.
-Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook an additional 3 minutes.
-Add the bbq sauce, tomatoes, garlic powder, and chili powder and cook 2 to 3 more minutes.
-Toast your wheat sandwich buns in the broiler for a few minutes (you may want to brush some light melted butter on each piece to toast up nice and good)
-Serve some of the mixture on your bun and eat

Enjoy! :)

*Tips:
-We find these to be very good if you add some dill pickles or sliced jalapenos just before eating. I imagine you could add all kinds of things though.

No comments:

Post a Comment