Monday, October 17, 2011

Korean Food: Beef Bulgogi

I promised myself that I would start trying different ethnic foods in our household. This recipe is my first Korean dish I have ever made by myself. It was simple and very delicious. I will definitely try harder dishes as time goes on, but I wanted something that I wouldn't screw up for my first attempt. This goes really well with some steamed brown rice or jasmine rice. I made brown rice in my rice cooker and served the beef on top of it. Another side dish that might compliment this is my veggie fried rice (see recipe on my blog).  As always, we had a piece of fruit with this meal.

Beef Bulgogi
Serves 3-4
Adapted from: http://dishingupdelights.blogspot.com/2009/02/beef-bulgogi.html

Ingredients:
3/4 pound ribeye steak, trim off any excess fat
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce - we prefer Kikoman
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
Red Pepper Flakes
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 cloves of garlic minced or 2 teaspoons minced garlic in oil
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger or 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger - we used McCormick ground ginger
1 red onion cut in 1 inch wedges
1 green or red bell pepper - cut in thin slices
2 teaspoons canola oil
Optional - brown rice or jasmine rice

Directions:
-First you will want to take your ribeye steak and slice it thinly across the grain into strips (about an 1/8 of an inch thick or as thin as you can get it)
-In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger.
-In another small bowl, toss the peppers and onions in it and pour 1/2 the soy sauce mixture into the bowl and combine. Set aside.
-With remaining soy sauce mixture, marinate the ribeye steak for about 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
-Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. I used a wok and it worked really well.
-To the hot skillet, add your peppers and onions and toss for 3-5 minutes.Transfer to a plate and keep warm in the microwave.
-Heat another teaspoon of canola oil in the pan/wok and add your beef strips. Cook the beef until browned and cooked to your liking (2-4 minutes).
-Toss peppers/onion mixture back into the skillet and combine all ingredients and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
-Serve over rice

*Tip:
-You could serve this dish in lettuce cups if you prefer not to use rice.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment