Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Vegetable "Fried" Rice

Before I left for work this morning, I set out boneless pork chops. When I got home I was trying to decide what to have with the pork chops. Bryan and I talked about our options and we decided on teriyaki marinated grilled pork chops, salad, and homemade vegetable "fried" rice. Traditional fried rice is very high in calories and fat. At the grocery store, they sell spice packets for fried rice, but those are loaded with a bunch of crap and are usually high in sodium. I decided to take a stab at creating my own version. It was very easy to make and we thought it tasted really good. I hope you like my version of it. :)

Vegetable "Fried" Rice
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 Boil-in-a-bag brown rice bags (4 servings)
1/2 medium sized red onion - diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup Eggbeaters or 1 large egg
1 cup mixed vegetables (I used vip steamworks mixed veggies and just steamed the bag in the microwave)
2 tablespoons lower sodium soy sauce
black pepper for seasoning

Directions:
-Cook brown rice according to directions on box
-Steam your mixed veggies in the microwave and set aside.
-In a skillet, spray some nonstick cooking spray.
-On medium high heat, add onion and garlic and saute for 4-5 minutes
-Add eggs and scramble
-Once eggs are cooked completely, add brown rice and mixed vegetables and stir the entire dish until combined.
-Add black pepper and soy sauce and mix well.
-Serve

*Modifications/Substitutions:
-Feel free to use white rice but brown rice is whole grain and a healthier option

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment