Thursday, May 26, 2011

Whole Grain Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

I decided to make Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins so that we could have them for breakfast for the next several days. This was the first time I've made them with this particular recipe. Bryan and I were split on these. I really liked them and thought the flavor was great. Bryan was not so fond of them, but he doesn't like anything with oats in it, so I kind of figured he might not like them. I love any recipe that tries to encorporate whole grains. Most Americans eat way too many refined products and not enough whole grain foods. This recipe uses old fashioned oats, which are 100% whole grain, and I did half and half when it came to the flour, by using 1/2 all purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour. Since Bryan didn't care for these, I brought a lot of them in for my coworkers and so far everyone really likes them. Oh yeah, did I mention that these are low-fat? These muffins are great for a quick breakfast or snack. I had one for breakfast and paired it with some fresh sliced strawberries and kiwis and egg whites scrambled.  Give these a try! :)

Original Recipe is from http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
Serves 12

INGREDIENTS
1 cup Quaker™ Old Fashioned Oats (regular or quick oats, uncooked)
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
2 tbs. margarine, melted
1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbs sugar or sugar substitute
1 tsp. baking powder
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
1⁄4 tsp. salt (optional)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries


DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 400°. Lightly spray 12 medium
muffin cups with cooking spray. In a medium
bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; let stand
10 minutes. Add egg substitute, margarine and
lemon peel; mix well. In a large bowl, combine
remaining ingredients except berries; mix well.
Add wet ingredient to dry ingredients; stir just
until dry ingredient are moistened. Gently stir in
blueberries. Fill muffin cups almost full.Bake 20-
25minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins
in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.

Modifications:
*I used eggbeaters instead of 2 egg whites
*I used light margarine
*I used 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
*I used Cascadian Farms Organic Frozen Blueberries
*I used regular sugar because I was out of sugar substitute but 3 tbsp is not that much!

Nutritional Information:
1 cup Quaker™ Old Fashioned Oats (regular or quick oats, uncooked) - 300 calories
1 cup low-fat buttermilk - 110 calories
1⁄4 cup liquid egg substitute (or 2 egg whites) - 60 calories
2 tbs. margarine, melted - 160 calories
1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon peel - 3 calories
1 cup all-purpose flour - 400 calories
3 tbs sugar or sugar substitute - 135 calories
1 tsp. baking powder - 8 calories
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda - 0 calories
1⁄4 tsp. salt (optional) - 0 calories
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries - 70 calories

= 1246 calories for entire recipe = approx. 103.83 calories per muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment